Museum of FSUE "PO Mayak"
The Museum of Labor Glory of the Chemical Combine "Mayak" was founded in 1973 and until 1983 in the village of Tatysh. The first director of the museum was Yury Borisovich Zaslavsky. Subsequently, the Museum was moved to the building of the former Palace of Pioneers. In the city, this house, which is located in front of the administration building, is most often called the Mayak PA Museum. Since 1991 the building has a Information center of PO Mayak
- Conducting information and educational work aimed at studying the history of the creation and development of enterprises and the nuclear industry, the formation of a positive attitude and confidence in nuclear energy and nuclear technology
- Interaction with the media, the formation of a positive image of the enterprise.
- Holding meetings, discussions, roundtables, meetings with representatives of government bodies, public organizations and the public.
456780 city Ozersk, Chelyabinsk Region Lenin street 32A
Enroll and get detailed information by phone
(351-30) 3 35 72; (351-30) 3 35 92;
(351-30) 3 36 11 phone / fax
Mon-Thurs: 09.00-13.00 and 14.00-17.30 on Friday: 09.00-13.00 and 14.00-16.30
Presentation hallThe presentation hall is a museum exposition with a dedicated place for holding press conferences. The exposition tells about the construction and formation of FSUE «PA «Mayak», about how the main production of the enterprise was created. The information on the development of the enterprise in the context of the development of the nuclear industry in Russia is posted.
The structure and main activities of the Mayak Production Association are presented: reactor, radiochemical, chemical-metallurgical and radioisotope production. In this exposition there is a booth where photos of all directors of the enterprise are presented, starting from the first years of Mayak's activity.
The first reactor plantIt is told about the construction and operation of the first industrial uranium-graphite reactor "A" for the production of weapons-grade plutonium. Also in the museum exposition there is information about all the reactors launched at the Mayak, including those currently operating. After the successful testing of the first Soviet atomic bomb in August 1949, the government set the task of sharply increasing the production of fissile materials. For this purpose, the plant deployed new reactors for the production of plutonium. In the period from 1950 to 1955, three uranium-graphite and two heavy-water reactors were commissioned at the plant. In addition, the country's first reactor was launched to produce special isotopes. This reactor processed technological processes, tested special fuel assemblies and structural materials for nuclear power plants. Today, two industrial third-generation reactors operate at the Mayak PA: light water Ruslan (since 1979) and heavy water Ludmila (since 1987). Both reactors have unique neutron-physical characteristics and allow obtaining a wide nomenclature of radioactive isotopes. Within the framework of this exposition, a fragment of the cover of the first "Annushka" reactor was recreated, shown in the section of the technological channel of the reactor, in order to visualize the internal arrangement of the reactor.
A historical reference is given on a radiochemical plant that was created to separate plutonium from uranium irradiated in a reactor and to purify it of impurities. Detailed information is provided on the plant for processing spent nuclear fuel (SNF) RT-1. Today, the plant reprocesses SNF of VVER-440, BN-600, research reactors and transport power plants.
The technological operations of handling spent nuclear fuel are consistently shown: transportation, storage, direct processing with the extraction of valuable components, solidification of radioactive waste and their storage. Information on the scheme for the environmentally safe management of radioactive waste, including vitrification of liquid high-level waste with subsequent controlled storage of glass mass, is also provided.
Within the exposition of the radiochemical plant, an operating manipulator is presented, with the help of such devices many works are performed at the enterprise.
Chemical and metallurgical production
The history of creation of chemical and metallurgical production is shown. A unique technology was developed under the guidance of academicians AA. Bochvara, I.I. Chernyaev, as well as A.N. Volsky, A.S. Zaimovskogo, A.D. Gelman. The assimilation of the technology for obtaining pure plutonium was directly handled by the young employees of L.P. Sohina, Z.A. Isaeva, E.D. Vandysheva and many others.
The pilot-industrial shop was a barrack-type building. The first "crown" of metallic plutonium was obtained in March, and on August 5, 1949, nuclear warhead parts for the first plutonium atomic bomb were produced in pilot production.
Information is presented on the implementation of the HEU-LEU program (highly enriched uranium - low enriched uranium) within the framework of the Russian-American agreement. Being recycled from 90 percent enrichment to 4 percent, uranium ceases to be weapon-grade and becomes fuel for nuclear power plants.
The presence of industrial reactors and radiochemical production made it possible to establish, since 1950, the production of artificial radioactive target and fragmentation isotopes. This exposition presents information on the range of sources produced at the Mayak PA, as well as the widest range of their applications.
At present, the plant for radioactive isotopes produces more than half of the total export of radionuclide production in Russia and is one of the leaders on the world market. Produced sources of ionizing radiation and heat, as well as radionuclides are widely used in industry and agriculture (radionuclide instrumentation, radiation technology and defectoscopy), medicine (radiation therapy) and scientific research.